Dysautonomia Sucks!!

Dysautonomia Sucks!!
This is a picture that I created just to show how I feel about my disease(s).

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Needing to vent

I've been trying to get on disability for awhile now and just cant seem to do it. I am currently in the process of tring again. Well yesterday I called my doctor and asked if I could come by and get my medical records and they said yes and gave me a time. Today I went by there at that time to pick them up and they tell me that I cant pick them up because it takes time to get all my records together and on top of that they tell me that they charge a $5 cover charge and $1 per page for the first 25 pages and then its $.50 per page after the 25 but once I hit 100 pages then I have to pay $5 and $1 per page again. I'm trying to remain calm and am thinking....its going to cost a fortune to get my records from this doctor if I have to pay all that. Why is it that a patient has to pay and arm and a leg for their own personal records yet any doctors office can get them for free?? Whats up with that. And what makes it worse is thats only ONE doctor out of many more doctors, hospitals, clinics, etc. Dont they make enough money off of treatment alone? Seriously?!?! It drives me nuts because the patients who have life long diseases and/or any other kind of prelonged health problem gets treated worse then the people who go in for a scratch! On top of that a friend of mine gave me a link to a website where they talk to you about your disability case and then help you out. I went on their website and saw where it says "We help anyone get disability between the ages of 18 and 85". I got my hopes up thinking that maybe I had finally found someone that could help me and the people call just to tell me that they dont help people my age. Ok well I'm 19yrs old and the last time I checked that was older then 18 but younger then 85. Am I wrong?? They gave me the number to my Social Security Office and told me to discuss my case with them. Well FYI: I have!!! Well, anyway, thats pretty much all that my day consisted of today. Just one let down after the other. But on a good note my doctor finally came through on sending a note to my insurance agency saying that I must remain on my insurance plan so I dont have to worry about having insurance at the moment. Well, I know this isnt much of anything but I'm tired so I'm signing off for the night. I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow/today and stays safe!

3 comments:

  1. They charge you???? Is it like that all over the US??? That's sad. I agree, they make enough money that's just dumb. If I want a record of something, I just ask my doctor and she prints it right there. Never been charged for it ever. Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes they charge. Every doctor does. I have no idea why. I wish I could get my records for free. There are too many records to pay for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla---I was diagnosed with POTS in 1980,that's 30 years ago. I have tried for SSD 2 and had hearings both times. The first time I was only 20 and they told my parents "Off the books of course" that POTS wasn't in their books so I didn't get it for 2 reasons,that and my young age. The second time it went pretty much the same. Three years ago I decided to apply again but after it was denied yet again I went to a disability lawyer. I had my hearing last week and although I no longer have any quarters left to get SSD I will be declared disabled and then get SSI if I pass this time. I think it looks pretty positive this time. The lawyer told me it gets easier the older you are so maybe age is finally on my side this time. I think the biggest thing is that POTS isn't taught in medical schools and so it is up to us to be an advocate for this disease. We need to get the word out about POTS and let everyone knows how debilitating it truly is. Maybe if we make a big enough stink then it won't fall on deaf ears. Kayla I hope you get SSD I rally do. I know how much stress it puts on a person and I hope soon it will be over for you.

    I also wanted to say I don't think its fair that we have to pay for our records. One time I got so mad that I said I would bring a pack of copy paper into the doctor's office and do it myself so no one in the office had to, You know it doesn't cost that kind of money and to tell you the truth I think the doctors should give you a record each visit when you have an appointment and this way it wouldn't come to this. Afterall...we aren't working because we are ill and we do not have the bundles of money they do! Amen! : )Sorry...

    ReplyDelete